Thursday, December 17, 2009

How I hate housework!!!

Every morning I get up, rub my eyes and think of my day ahead. Sometimes it makes me groan when I have some task I have been putting off for days, a few days it’s exciting when I have something interesting to do or sometimes I’m just nervous when it’s an interview day. Most days though, it seems to be a never ending stream of housework. This, despite having a maid who sweeps, wipes and cleans the dishes and a washing machine to wash the clothes. I know I am luckier than a lot of women who don’t have these luxuries, but that doesn’t make the rest of the work any more interesting– like folding, ironing and putting away clothes, like picking up random clothes and paper off the floor, like dusting all those “cute” little knick-knacks that suddenly don’t seem so cute any more, wiping shelves, cleaning, cleaning, cleaning…
The one thing that I surprisingly seem to enjoy is the cooking. Having been cooking for only a few months, anything I try is new and I try adding something extra or different to every dish I make :). A husband who is willing to experiment too and eat everything I make is definitely a big plus. So I decided to complie a list of simple and easy recipes that had worked wonders for me.
My recipe for this week is an absolutely wonderful chocolate cake that can be made in exactly 5 minutes, adapted from here



5 minute Chocolate Lava Cake

Ingredients
Cake :
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup maida
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
6 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Stir In :
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
2 tablespoons milk

In a microwave-safe cup, stir together all the dry ingredients for the cake first - 1/3 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 cup maida, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder. Once these are thoroughly mixed, slowly add 6 tablespoons milk, and a teaspoon of vanilla. Stir till smooth
For the liquid chocolate sauce, mix 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon cocoa, I teaspoon instant coffee powder and 2 tablespoons milk. Pour into the cup with the other ingredients. Gently swirl it in; don’t mix thoroughly.
Cook in the microwave for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes, depending how powerful your microwave is. According to the original recipe, “ When done, it’ll look set on top, and kind of mushy around the edges”. However mine turned out firm around the edge and mushy in the centre after I cooked it for about 2 and ½ minutes. Turn the cake onto a plate and the cake is ready!!! Don’t let it cook for more than 3 minutes because the liquid or the uncooked batter inside spills out and coats the cake in a lovely chocolate sauce

1 comment:

kallu said...

Wow! Lovely pic. Waiting to try this recipe out. Be glad that your husband is willing to eat anything you try. And he has a host of willing friends too.